The Pacific Post Partum Support Society provides counseling and support programs designed to end the isolation and distress experienced by women and their families with the change that accompanies the birth or adoption of a child.
Counselors available through the society are trained in telephone support, group facilitation, and perinatal adjustment issues, and many of the counselors are mothers who have recovered from postpartum depression themselves.
Postpartum support services offered by the society include:
• A toll-free telephone support line (855 255-7999) where clients receive support for struggles dealing with pregnancy and are offered referrals to support groups in the Lower Mainland.
• A pilot program, developed in consultation with BC Women’s Reproductive Mental Health, teaching cognitive behavioral self-help techniques and skills over the phone.
• A self-help guide concerning postpartum depression and anxiety for new mothers and service providers.
• Online self-help tools for mothers, partners, and care providers available at www.postpartum.org.
• Brochures describing the society’s publications and services.
For additional information on membership in the society, to arrange for group facilitation and telephone support manuals, or to organize community training sessions and workshops for service providers, contact the society at 604 255-7955 or visit www.postpartum.org.