Dr Don Rix Award for Physician Leadership (D.B. Rix Award)
Established in memory of the late Dr Donald Rix for his many achievements and exemplary physician leadership exhibited throughout his life and career, this award recognizes lifetime achievement so outstanding as to serve as an inspiration and a challenge to the medical profession in British Columbia.
Nominees may have achieved distinction in one or more of the following ways:
• Supported lifelong learning opportunities.
• Promoted excellence in medical education.
• Built consensus among physicians and groups of physicians.
• Provided leadership for new initiatives both in business and clinical practice.
• Provided leadership and service to the general community or province either by direct support or through philanthropy.
• Provided service to the medical profession through participation in Doctors of BC.
• Provided leadership to the broader medical community.
• Participated in legislative and other political activities in support of health care.
Doctors of BC members may nominate a member in good standing for the award.
CMA Honorary Membership Award
Honorary membership to the Canadian Medical Association goes to BC doctors who, at the age of 65, have been active members of the association for at least 10 years. Recipients must also have been nominated by their provincial/territorial medical associations and have had their nominations approved unanimously by the Board of Directors of the CMA. The nominees are held in high regard by their colleagues; they are humanitarians who have put into practice the aims and ideals of our profession. They are people who exemplify the words of the CMA Coat of Arms: Integritate et misericordia (integrity and compassion).
Doctors of BC Silver Medal of Service
The Doctors of BC Silver Medal of Service is awarded to physicians or nonphysicians who have made outstanding contributions to medicine or improving the welfare of British Columbians. Physician nominees must have 25 years of membership in good standing with Doctors of BC, the CMA, and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia. Nonmedical candidates may be of Canadian or foreign citizenship. To be eligible for the award, nominees must meet at least one of the following criteria:
• Long and distinguished service to Doctors of BC.
• Outstanding contributions to medicine or medical/political involvement in British Columbia or Canada.
• Outstanding contributions to medicine or to the welfare of the people of British Columbia or Canada.
For more information, including awards criteria and nomination forms, visit the Doctors of BC website (www.doctorsofbc.ca/resource-centre/awards-scholarships), or contact Ms Aria Gray at email@example.com.
To nominate someone for an award, submit a completed nomination form along with the nominee’s current curriculum vitae and any other supporting documents by 30 November 2014 to the Doctors of BC Awards Committee, c/o Aria Gray, 115–1665 W. Broadway, Vancouver, BC V6J 5A4, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.