Re: Women in prison theme issue

Issue: BCMJ, vol. 55 , No. 2 , March 2013 , Pages 73 Letters

Health of the incarcerated is an important, complex problem [BCMJ 2012;54:485-548]. I was very surprised that this special issue didn’t address the health of all jailed in BC, both men and women!

Health problems and their lack of diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation are very similar for incarcerated individuals of both genders. 
As the authors point out, women account for only about 10% of the prison population. Is it blatantly sexist to apparently ignore the other 90% just because they’re men? Did you miss that boat?
—Ken Dent, MD
Vancouver

 

Thank you for your letter. The BCMJ was approached by the guest editors with a proposal regarding a theme issue focused on the health of incarcerated women in BC. The Editorial Board certainly concurs that the health of all in incarceration is an important issue, and would be pleased to consider either a single article or theme issue on this topic for publication.
—ED.

Ken Dent, MD,. Re: Women in prison theme issue. BCMJ, Vol. 55, No. 2, March, 2013, Page(s) 73 - Letters.



Above is the information needed to cite this article in your paper or presentation. The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) recommends the following citation style, which is the now nearly universally accepted citation style for scientific papers:
Halpern SD, Ubel PA, Caplan AL, Marion DW, Palmer AM, Schiding JK, et al. Solid-organ transplantation in HIV-infected patients. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:284-7.

About the ICMJE and citation styles

The ICMJE is small group of editors of general medical journals who first met informally in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1978 to establish guidelines for the format of manuscripts submitted to their journals. The group became known as the Vancouver Group. Its requirements for manuscripts, including formats for bibliographic references developed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM), were first published in 1979. The Vancouver Group expanded and evolved into the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), which meets annually. The ICMJE created the Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals to help authors and editors create and distribute accurate, clear, easily accessible reports of biomedical studies.

An alternate version of ICMJE style is to additionally list the month an issue number, but since most journals use continuous pagination, the shorter form provides sufficient information to locate the reference. The NLM now lists all authors.

BCMJ standard citation style is a slight modification of the ICMJE/NLM style, as follows:

  • Only the first three authors are listed, followed by "et al."
  • There is no period after the journal name.
  • Page numbers are not abbreviated.


For more information on the ICMJE Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals, visit www.icmje.org

BCMJ Guidelines for Authors

Leave a Reply