Re: Spot-on studies

Issue: BCMJ, vol. 60 , No. 10 , December 2018 , Pages 480 Letters

We enjoyed Dr Richardson’s editorial in the September BCMJ about the validity of studies [BCMJ 2018;60:341]. We were dismayed to read the results of a survey on the Doctors of BC website reporting on a survey of doctors, “Transparency around drug payments to physicians.” Out of over 10 000 physicians in BC, 532 responded, so the only meaningful conclusion that can be drawn is: 5% of physicians in BC have these views on drug payments. We have no idea what the other 95% think. It is time for us to all insist that people who publish results of studies clearly state what the limitations are so we can put the results in a meaningful context.
—Geoffrey Ainsworth, MD
Vancouver
—Patrice Dunn, MD
Vancouver

This letter was submitted in response to “Spot-on studies.”

Geoffrey Ainsworth, MD, Patrice Dunn, MD. Re: Spot-on studies. BCMJ, Vol. 60, No. 10, December, 2018, Page(s) 480 - Letters.



Above is the information needed to cite this article in your paper or presentation. The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) recommends the following citation style, which is the now nearly universally accepted citation style for scientific papers:
Halpern SD, Ubel PA, Caplan AL, Marion DW, Palmer AM, Schiding JK, et al. Solid-organ transplantation in HIV-infected patients. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:284-7.

About the ICMJE and citation styles

The ICMJE is small group of editors of general medical journals who first met informally in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1978 to establish guidelines for the format of manuscripts submitted to their journals. The group became known as the Vancouver Group. Its requirements for manuscripts, including formats for bibliographic references developed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM), were first published in 1979. The Vancouver Group expanded and evolved into the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), which meets annually. The ICMJE created the Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals to help authors and editors create and distribute accurate, clear, easily accessible reports of biomedical studies.

An alternate version of ICMJE style is to additionally list the month an issue number, but since most journals use continuous pagination, the shorter form provides sufficient information to locate the reference. The NLM now lists all authors.

BCMJ standard citation style is a slight modification of the ICMJE/NLM style, as follows:

  • Only the first three authors are listed, followed by "et al."
  • There is no period after the journal name.
  • Page numbers are not abbreviated.


For more information on the ICMJE Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals, visit www.icmje.org

BCMJ Guidelines for Authors

Leave a Reply